Monday, December 22, 2008

Good news!

Sitting in Cafe Tanta Sara, sipping my cafe con leche and working on some vegetation survey maps, I observed a group of folks come in the cafe with ship radios and staff caps. I figured I had nothing to lose so I approached them and asked if they knew of any way I might be able to get on a ship bound for "The Ice" (as the experienced call it). Juan (a geologist on board a south-bound ship) called up his friend Alicia, who just happened to have some "last minute deal" spots on a boat that leaves December 28th and returns January 7th.

So I am back in action! The Clipper Adventurer is a fancier boat than the Ushuaia so I will most likely feel under-dressed in the dining room for supper, but who cares! I am bound for the ice once again....and determined to have my "polar plunge", talk about polar issues and see my penguins!
Right now, I plan on switching hostals to one that is a little cleaner...and maybe try and get some hiking in to Tierra del Fuego National Park tomorrow.

So to those of you who have been visualizing me on the polar ice, thank you! I will get there yet.

Additionally, I should be able to post a few pictures later today: penguins, guanacos and dolphins, oh my!

2 comments:

  1. We are waiting for photos!!

    Just checked out the Clipper Adventurer info, and it looks amazing. So you will still have the Zodiac excursions and lectures--that's great. Are you sharing a room, and are you in the "basement" of the ship? Just wondering:)
    Great timing for your return flight, too, isn't it?
    Way to go, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, Daniella! Have fun on the ice, so glad you're going to get there!
    And Merry Christmas!
    -sabrina

    ReplyDelete