Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Feliz Navidad in Tierra del Fuego!

Yesterday was an adventure! I wanted to go camping in el Parque Nacional de Tierra del Fuego, so I packed up my backpack with tent, sleeping bag and a bit of food and struck out from the hostal. I did what many backpackers here do (don´t worry mom!)...stuck out my thumb and caught a ride with a local. Hitchhiking is called hacer dedo (to thumb it, basically) in spanish. I caught a ride to the entrance of the park with Luis the construction worker and then hiked the rest of the way to the trail-head of the south coast trail -- la senda costera.
I spent a beautifully quiet night at Lago Roca -- much quieter than a hostal! -- and found a ride back into town this afternoon.
Now I´m showered (thank goodness for hot water!) and ready for the christmas party at the hostal. It seems to take a long time to upload photos on here, so I will try when I have a little more time!
Feliz Navidad and happy holidays to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment