Sunday, December 21, 2008

Antarctica or bust!

I´m back in Punta Arenas and will be flying out this afternoon to Ushuaia....plans unknown!
We had some excitement upon our arrival here last night. Our fearless leader, Dr. Bill, went into what the doctors are calling a mild diabetic shock and was rushed to the hospital and is in intensive care for observation. So that kept things interesting for all of us. Too much dancing at Deano´s Pub in Port Stanley the night before! I´ll be heading to the hospital to visit him before I fly out.

It feels a little weird to be leaving the group that I´ve become so close with over the last 2 weeks. Such an interesting and fun group of folks! All the wonderful llama-ladies from the US want to take me home with them (for some as a potential daughter-in-law)....and my mother will be happy to know I´ve had 3 lovely stand-ins for her while I´ve been away. The Australian veterinarian (working in the Falklands for 2 years) kept us on our toes with new slang terminology and the identification of the ´bloody fleas´ that kept biting us. There is also the Iowa farmer gentleman Doug...always making sure everyone was getting the most out of the experience. And the Dr.´s son, Cody, with whom I could always share a joke, a laugh and a glass of vino tinto! Dr. Bill....well he´s pretty difficult to sum up in a sentence. A passionate scientist and a colourful character, he keeps things interesting when you´re working with him! I will be sorry to part company with the man who has worked so hard to get us all here.

So once again....here I go!

No comments:

Post a Comment