Sunday, February 8, 2009

January 9 & 10, 2009 -- Homeward Bound

[Sitting in the departure lounge at the Santiago, Chile Airport]
So here's my plan. I'm going to send in a resume to Quark Expeditions (along with some of the other companies) to apply to be on the expedition team of an Antarctic-bound ship on my time off next winter. I met yet anoher crew member at the Dublin Pub last night who convinced me I could totally get a job! So that's my plan. I just have to play up my background in biology, interpretation, & education, the fact that I have now been to Antarctica, I've done research work in the Falklands Islands and I have boating experience from my time at the Bamfield Research Station. Plus, add in a few good (hopefully) words from expedition staff....and there I go!

This trip has been crazy. It's been a little over-the-top, but I feel like I'm in a better head space after having just put myself out there so many times....because when I do, there are huge rewards!
[...]
January 10, 2009
Woah!! Karen (a friend from the hostel who is on her way back to Australia) found me in the departure lounge and got me to come join her in the VIP departure lounge! Free food, drink, a "quiet" room with lounge chairs, pillows and blankets....and I even had a quick shower!! What a fantastic way to chill out before the 11-hour flight from Santiago to Los Angeles.

I was then able to sleep quite well on the flight. Now I'm enjoying a little breakfast and a coffee at LAX while I wait for my flight back to Cow-town. I can't seem to get images of icebergs out of my head...so I'm drawing, sketching, and painting icebergs of all shapes and colours in my journal.


1 comment:

  1. Hey Daniella!
    I just got this link from the MEEC news Rick sent out this morning and have just spent the time since reading your entire blog. Wow, what an adventure. I hope you bottled enough up to carry with you always and take a whiff whenever you need to remember what it felt like to be there. I miss it every day. Thanks for sharing and I hope you're enjoying being back in the "real world" (or, as one expert on our trip argued, down there is the real world). My fingers are crossed for you getting a job to take you back, I'm still trying to figure that one out. Some day...

    All the best,
    Lilith

    ReplyDelete