Tuesday, February 3, 2009

January 6, 2009 -- Farewell Antarctica

I was up nice and early today -- my last day on the Drake Passage. I spent some time up on the bridge deck for a while before breakfast. Another beautifully calm day! [When I woke up I wasn't sure if we were still moving...it was so still.] The ship was clipping along at around 12 knots...too bad! I wish I could prolong this.

A journey is a person in itself, no two are alike, and all plans, safeguards, policies and coercion are fruitless. We find after years of struggles that we do not take a trip; a trip takes us.
~ John Steinbeck ~


I'm sitting on the bridge one last time, looking into the Beagle Channel as we head back to Ushuaia. Am I different? Have I been transformed? As I look toward the horizon of the so-called real world, the world of work, and relationships, and the new year, I'm not sure I feel as transformed as I would have thought.
[...]
Just had my palm read by the Chief Engineer -- Bozo Petrovic, from Montenegro. Interesting man, with interesting things to say about my future.

This trip, this adventure, this journey has definitely shaken up my life in a good way. It's given me lots to think about in terms of what I want to focus my energy on, where I want to travel, what kinds of jobs I may pursue. As ridiculous as it might seem, I have a strong feeling that I will be back here.

Now it's time to get ready for the final slide show and our farewell dinner. We'll actually be in port tonight, so once we clear customs a few of us plan on heading into town for some beverages and one last celebration of our time together.


The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page.
~ St. Augustine

No comments:

Post a Comment