Wednesday, January 7, 2009

December 29, 2008 -- Setting sail!




Ready for boarding the Clipper Adventurer!









All aboard! And we've set sail from Ushuaia, Argentina heading out of the Beagle Channel. We've dropped of our Argentinian "pilot" (who navigated us through the Beagle Channel) and have hit the open waters of the infamous Drake Passage. We´ve had a fine meal in the dining lounge, I sat with Rupert -- an Australian who travels all over via Land Rover, and a lovely couple from Brazil. I spent some time on the upper deck watching land disappear and will be heading off to bed soon. I've got a cabin all to myself!! The night will be a bumpy one with 10 metre waves! The drawers from my little desk keep slammin open and shut, but so far nothing has managed to fly across the room. I'm feeling fine so far, but have been trying some homeopathic anti-nauseants...we'll see how those hold up against "The Drake Shake".
My cabin steward Ian has turned down my bed (what luxury!) and I'm feeling ready and excited for all that awaits!




The land was gone, all but a little streak away off on the edge of the water, and down under us was just ocean, ocean, ocean millions of miles of it, heaving and pitching and squirming, and white sprays blowing from the wave-tops, and only a few ships in sight...and before long there warn't no ships at all, and we had the sky and the ocean to ourselves, and the roomiest place I ever did see and the lonesomest. -- Mark Twain

No comments:

Post a Comment