Thursday, January 8, 2009

December 31, 2008 -- New Year's Eve!



Woke up feeling much better this morning! The Drake Passage has calmed down significantly so I was able to sleep without the drawers opening and slamming shut all night. I spent a lot of time up on the bridge spotting whales and birds with Mark ("the whale guy") and they even let me sit up in the Captain's Chair! What a view...it is crazy to just look out and see nothing but water 360 degrees around you!



My day was punctuated with several more little mini-naps, a few snacks here and there and preparing my hat for the "Crazy Hat" contest occuring before midnight tonight. We watched this amazing movie "Under the Antarctic Ice" about a team of photographers that dive under (!) the ice in Antarctica, and have been documenting the marine life that occurs in such cold waters. You'd be surprised at what lies under the ice! I got my inspiration for my hat, and decided to make an "ice garden" on my hat, complete with sea spider, a scallop, a beautiful sea anemone and a bright red brittle star! (I couldn't help myself, I'm an interpreter through and through!)

After having built my hat, I decided to be bold, courageous and test my abilities with a shower! The rule "one hand for yourself and one hand for the ship" is a little difficult to stick to when you're attempting a shower in rough-ish seas! But I managed, and was able to get myself a little dressed up for our New Year's Eve dinner and party.
My hat was runner up in the "Most Creative" category; I lost to an amazing albatross hat, made with a coat-hanger, a pair of socks, a napkin and the fur-ish lining of a jacket hood. Impressive!

New Year's was toasted with champagne, the dance-floor was hopping (and swaying) -- try dancing the two-steps with waves helping you along! We had also crossed the geopolitical boundary into Antarctica, and thus were officially in Antarctica to ring in the new year! All in all, a magnificent way to start 2009!

No comments:

Post a Comment