Friday, January 23, 2009

January 3, 2009 -- Antarctic Swim!

Officially landed on the continent today! It was snowing and foggy at first rise this morning...absolutely beautiful. Another view of this icy continent. Large, fat flakes were falling lightly but the air temperature was actually quite nice!
The Clipper pulled into Neko Harbour, off Anvard Bay on the east side of the Antarctic Penninsula. The site is named for the floating whale factory ship Neko, which operated in the South Shetlands and Antarctic Penninsula from 1911 to 1924, and often used this bay. A small Argentinean refuge on the coastline and gentoo penguins all around. Niklas pulled us up to the rocky beach packed with gentoos (and their guano!).

I hiked up to a high point on a ridge above the bay and had an amazing view of the Deville Glacier where icebergs are "born". The shadows!!!! Amazing colours and shades of blue and white. After spending some time watching for calving icebergs, I got to slide the snow on my butt! There was even a point at which the drop-off was straight down.

After the big hike, I took the POLAR PLUNGE! I removed a few layers (snowpants, 1 pair of longjohns, expedition parka, fleece sweater, thermal shirt, rubber boots and socks!) to get down my bikini and prepared myself mentally for what was to come. I walked among the gentoos on the rocky shores, right into the 0 degree waters of Neko Harbour, Antarctica! It was frigid but so amazing! After I exited the water, I felt so invigorated and refreshed that I decided I should go back in. I made a second entrance into the Antarctic waters, dove right in, and as I was making my way back to shore a gentoo penguin porpoised right in front of me!

1 comment:

  1. Woowoo! I think the reason for increasing Antarctic temperatures is now clear - hot stuff!! :-)

    Good for you, Chica, and way to go. I love the photos and the vicarious adventuring. What an amazing experience. Thank you for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete