Monday, January 19, 2009

January 2, 2009 -- Part II

We had our afternoon landing at Useful Island....useful for me as I got to see my first chinstrap penguins! The seas were a bit choppier this afternoon with the wind picking up a bit, which made our zodiac ride and the landing a bit more interesting. We were able to hike through the snow up to the peak of the island. A previous ship's group had packed a nice trail for us, which made it much easier to maneouvre without bothering the penguins. We see other ships from time to time, but most of the time it feels as though we're the only people out here.

There are so many gentoos everywhere...and some people have even begun to say things like "Oh yeah, we just saw some more gentoos." I'M IN ANTARCTICA!!! Can it get any better than this?! I would sit and watch gentoo after gentoo only to spend more time here.
We're just about to go for our afternoon recap, and briefing for tomorrow's landings. The ship is on its way to Paradise Bay where we will be having an Antarctic BBQ on the stern deck! I can't believe this amazing weather....hope it holds!

No comments:

Post a Comment