Sunday, November 30, 2008

W5 -- Why, what, where, when, who?

As I move into the final countdown (four more sleeps!) I suppose I could elaborate a bit more on the plans for my trip.

Why?
I've been working hard at finishing my masters thesis and working as interpretive supervisor in Kananaskis Country. So I figured it was about time to reward myself. 2008 has been a big year of change, growth and transformation for me and I want to go into 2009 in a positive, memorable way.

What and who? There are two parts to my trip:
1) Falkland Islands Research Expedition with Dr. Bill Franklin He's studying an population of guanacos (like a wild llama) that were introduced onto a small island in the late 1800's. They are an interesting population genetically (the island is a closed system) and their effect on the island's vegetation is also worth studying. Dr. Franklin has studied these animals in their native Patagonia for many years and this study is another branch of his work.
2) Students on Ice Expedition This program aims to increase awareness of global environmental issues that affect the earth's poles. They do an Arctic and Antarctic trip every year and this year I'll be joining them on the Antarctic voyage. They take students from all over the world (ages 14-19) and I'm going along as a "chaperone".

Where and when?
December 4th -- Leave Calgary, Alberta, Canada
December 5th -- Arrive in Punta Arenas, Chile and meet the team for the Falklands Expedition
December 6th -- Fly to Stanley, Falkland Islands
December 7th -- Get to Staats Island (either by helicopter or by plane and then boat)
December 7th- 17th -- Tenting on Staats Island doing field work (tagging newborn guanacos, completing vegetation maps of the island, observing family groups of guanacos, doing a population count to estimate the size of the Staats Island guanaco population)
December 17th - 20th -- Enjoy Stanley and surrounding area
December 20th -- Fly back to Punta Arenas, Chile
December 21st -- Leave for Ushuaia, Argentina (near Tierra del Fuego National Park)
December 23rd -- Fly to Buenos Aires, Argentina to pick up the first students for the Antarctic Expedition
December 26th -- Head back to Ushuaia, Argentina to get ready for our departure
December 28th -- Set sail for the Drake Passage
December 29th -- Crossing the Drake Passage (hoping not to get seasick!)
December 30th -- Attempt a landing at the South Shetland Islands
December 31st - January 4th -- Exploring Antarctica (with almost 24-hour sunlight!)
January 5th -- Start crossing back over the Drake Passage
January 7th -- Disembark at Ushuaia, Argentina
January 8th -- Start heading homeward
January 10th -- Arrive back in Calgary (tired, inspired and transformed!)

1 comment:

  1. I was parousing through my emails today and found your link to this wonderful blog. Have a great trip! I also have a question though i'm not in the class (i hope this is alright) Will you be wrestling penguins? Take care

    TOP HUM

    ReplyDelete