Saturday, November 15, 2008

The countdown is on...

Eighteen more sleeps. Then this Alberta girl is wandering her way to the southern reaches of the planet: the Falkland Islands (or for those speaking Spanish, las Islas Malvinas) and Antarctica. That's right....the land of Shackleton and penguins! I can hardly believe it myself. I've got a pile of stuff started in my office at home -- first aid supplies, herbal motion sickness remedies, art supplies, dried fruit snacks, my tent, and the list goes on! It still hasn't really sunk in though.

On an unrelated note, I attended my convocation in Victoria last week. I'm now a Master....of the Universe I think! I actually enjoyed the whole pomp and circumstance of marching down to the marquee with the cheesy gown (and my red boots), with live pipers and umbrellas (it was pouring rain!). Dr. Sheila-Watt Cloutier received her honourary doctorate from Royal Roads and gave the keynote address to the graduates. What an amazing woman!! Nomitated for a Nobel Peace Prize (along with Al Gore), she has been traveling the world to talk about global climate change from the perspective of the Northern people. I got to see her talk beforehand to a small group and she is so humble and inspiring!

I did some sknorkeling with Joy and Nick and Collin off Ogden Point and saw some familiar faces: kelp greenlings (aka Karl), rock fish, urchins, blood stars, kelp crabs, decorator crabs and lots of kelp. I felt right at home. I often feel like I have two seperate, equally strong roots that I'm developing: one on the left coast and the other in the Kananaskis Valley. Still not sure how to accomodate them both.

Anywho, I will continue to update on preparations for my southward journey and hopefully will be able to post a few ramblings as I adventure forth.

No comments:

Post a Comment