Thursday, December 9, 2010

Trains, autorickshaws and bomb blasts, oh my!

At an internet cafe, so I'm not sure how much time I'll have, but the update today is much more interesting!

I left the comfort of the apartment and took the train from Kolkata to Varanasi on Tuesday afternoon.  Managed to use the squat toilets with my backpack still on!  Thank goodness for long backcountry trips where I perfected my skills! 
It's a 14 hour train ride so I got a seat with a bunk for sleeping.  I got on, hoping that there might at least be a few more goras (foreigners) on my car, but alas...I was greeted -- well not really greeted as none of them would really look me in the eye -- by a car full of men.  Great.  Oh well, a chance to think, to journal, to draw and to sleep.  I managed to get to one of the doors to check out the scenery and take a few shots.  Trees and little villages, fields with people walking through, flying by from the door of this old train.  Got into my bunk around 8 pm and every time I woke up I would check to see if my bag was still there -- this train is notorious for luggage theft. 
I made it to Varanasi by 9 in the morning and once I found an autorickshaw driver to take me into town, I found out about the blast.  On Tuesday at 6:30 pm, a bomb exploded at the old Deswasmamedh Ghat along the Ganges river during their regular evening ceremony.  Many tourists (both Indian and foreign) were injured and at the moment they are only saying that one child was killed, but most locals here think that the government is covering up other local deaths.  That area of Varanasi was pretty much shut down, most shops were closed on Wednesday, schools were closed and they suspended the evening ceremonies for 3 days...crazy time to arrive here!  The newspapers are saying it is Muslim terrorists...and they have a few people in custody, but ongoing investigation will continue.  It is so hard to believe that I am so close to something like this.
Needless to say I was quite overwhelmed at this news.  I arrived at the guesthouse suggested by my driver and just took the room (clean and very simple).  I had a little moment in my room, and then had some oatmeal, and after a nice cup of milk chai, I felt better.
The rest of the day was filled with some exploring along the Ghats -- the big giant steps that lead down into the Ganges -- and a very friendly yoga guru trying to make me a student of his (more on that story later!).
I've got so much more to add, but am running out of internet time so I will have to add more later. Love to all of you at home!
 Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment