Friday, December 3, 2010

Namaste...welcome to India!

24 hours of travel time.

I've made it to Kolkata!  After waiting what seemed like forever for my bag to show up on the conveyer belt in the Kolkata airport, I had my pack and headed out to find Jon -- a friend of my brother's who is living here.  I was so happy to see a familiar face and immediately hopped into the cab (that had been waiting the 2.25 hours it took for me to actually get off the plane, get through customs and get my pack) and headed to his apartment.  Jon is living here with his brother Andrew and another friend Justin.  They're studying classical indian raga music with a Guru here and live in an apartment just down the street from their Guru's house.  By the time we arrived at the apartment it was about 3:30 in the morning!  After a small chat I was ready to crawl into bed on the floor, underneath my pink mosquito net, and fall asleep.

I awoke this morning to barking dogs, chirping birds, honking horns, the sounds of people working and the vegetable man at the door...welcome to India!  I've just come back from a walk down the street towards the more rural or village area and there are some distinct smells that actually remind me a lot of South America, and others that are completely new. 
I walked past the water buffalo milk farm -- the manure from there is taken away in big bowls that women carry on their heads.  Then it's plopped in big piles or slapped on to the sides of the walls to dry...I'm assuming so it can be used to fuel fires or something. 

Lots of stares as I walked along, but I suppose that is something to get used to.

All for now...I think I get to meet Guru ji this afternoon after the guys are done with their lessons and rehearsing.

No comments:

Post a Comment